|Before: Window 2|
But what did we discover when we started digging? A huge slab of concrete underneath the entire window! Why anyone would put such a thing there, we'll never know. But it does help explain why the flooding was the worst under this window: the water was just sitting on the slab, soaking into the rotting wood of the window frame.
|The mysterious concrete slab|
Of course, instead of just digging, this meant that we had to bust up and remove all the concrete before we could do anything else.
|Removing the concrete pad.|
|The window after the concrete pad was removed|
Once the concrete was removed, we could finally begin cutting out the windows themselves. As badly rotted as the windows were, they were still a pain to remove.
|Justin cuts out the window frames.|
|View from inside.|
|Way more concrete than the last one.|
|Levelling up the cinder blocks|
|First layer in, mortar bed for the second layer laid down.|
|After: Window 2. Much better!|
Next up; raised beds...