Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

First Fruits (and Leaves and Roots): the Garden in June

First strawberry of the season!

As I was weeding, I spotted it: the first ripe strawberry of the season. I picked it, then had a brief internal argument with myself about whether I should just eat it on the spot or share it with Justin and Junie. 

Generosity won out. I ran inside to show what I had found, then sliced it in thirds so we could all enjoy that first delicious taste of summer. 


And now, the strawberries are ripening at a fast pace, much to everyone's delight. They're big, juicy, and beautiful! It amazes me that a bed that started out the season looking like this:

The strawberry bed in May

Has blossomed into this:

The strawberry bed in June
And if that amount of growth amazes you, take a look at my greens bed before I planted anything:



The greens bed in early spring

And compare it to this green, leafy goodness:

The greens bed in June
We've been enjoying plenty of fresh salads as I thin the lettuce. We've also pulled up a rainbow of beautiful radishes. And just last night I made a stir fry with bok choi and garlic scapes. So much to be excited about in the garden this time of year!


 

bok choi and garlic scapes!





Sunday, June 1, 2014

The David Bradly Trailer Project: Part 1

Yeah, we know it sounds like the title of a rural Wisconsin "New Wave" band..but it's not.

So in keeping with our theme (old Craftsman house...old Craftsman tools). We decided to pick up an old Craftsman trailer too.  Well, OK it's not really a Craftsman but it was at least sold by Sears!


This is a 1950's David Bradley trailer.  It's seen better days obviously.  The David Bradley name (not to be confused with the guy from Harry Potter) is actually pretty well known among vintage tool and tractor enthusiasts for the walk behind tractor built by Sears and Roebuck from 1947-67'. In truth we'd love to have one of the little tractors some day too. 


The trailer in the center of this original Sears ad is the one closest to ours.  The previous owner replaced the springs, axle, hubs and tires with much stronger materials.  From the look of things they took the whole sub frame from another trailer and added it on to this one.  


Though this works and pulled down the road very nicely despite it's looks, we're pretty sure it would benefit from some reinforcement. The trailer's tongue is also pretty well shot (as is the original hitch). So thanks to Craigslist we now have a fairly large pile of steel on our other trailer:


So the plan at this point is to replace some or all of the sub-frame and tongue with the steel pictured (leaning heavily toward the latter). Justin did an initial design planning to retain the current sub-frame.  While doing these renderings it occurred to him that we probably have enough steel to re-frame the entire under carriage and also...he needs a bigger Arc welder.  You can imagine how disappointed he was about that last bit.


We use Sweet Home 3d a lot for planning our projects http://www.sweethome3d.com/.  Thought it's designed mostly for building design, it can also be used to put together quick and dirty CAD designs. Almost all of the measurements on the above picture are "rough".  More precise dimensions will be used as soon as we have it flipped over. This was good enough to get some basic ideas going though.  



This was the first draft of the basic frame design using the materials we have presently. Initially he was only planning on bringing the new frame back as far as the axle.  



It was about the time when Justin started adding the existing components to his render that completely replacing the sub-frame came to mind.  His dad made a couple of good suggestions that seemed to be easier to accomplish once the problem of attaching the oldish sub-frame to the new sub-frame was removed from the equation.   

If only all the metal work was as simple as creating the computer model.  Still working out the details in software is a lot easier then cutting up a bunch of steel to see what works and what doesn't.  We'll have another post soon showing the progress on the re-design of our little ugly trailer.  But the picture above (sub-frame changes not withstanding) is basically what we have in mind.

Considering how much hammering it took to get the first big dent straightened out of the passenger side...we've got a long way to go! Stay tuned!