Pages

Sunday, May 20, 2012

What plants can be found in our new yard?

As a gardener eager to have my own yard, it was with great excitement that I examined every inch of our new yard, seeking out recognizable perennial sprouts among weeds. When I found one, it was like a Christmas present: free plants! Already growing in my yard! Of course, what I mostly found was beds choked with weeds, perennials untended for so long as to render them too leggy to bother with, and the ill-advised placement of pampas grass along our front walk.

In the back, there is a small bed with some purple coneflower, black-eyed susans, irises, a sprawling mass of oregano, and a few other herbs. Clearly, this was intended as a kitchen garden.

Herbs and flowers competing against maple seedlings and other weeds

There is also a line of peony bushes...

Peonies on the lot line

Some Shasta daisies...

How can I tell these are daisies? The serrated leaves are a dead giveaway.

A couple of lilac bushes that have seen better days...

Not to mention a wood stove that has seen better days!

Daylilies and yuccas...



An area fenced in with chicken wire, but full of nothing but weeds. 

Perhaps it was a vegetable garden at one point? 


And the aforementioned Pampas grass, growing right along the front walk. There are also some extremely woody lavender plants along the walkway, too. 

Doesn't look so bad yet...but it's only about 1/3 of its full-grown height! 

And a surprise Columbine plant! I also found a surprise Oriental Poppy growing among the Pampas grass. 

A lone Columbine grows next to some hostas
There are also a bunch of hostas on the other side of the house, but you'll just have to take my word for it that they look exactly like ordinary hostas.

Knowing what I have to work with, I can now start to plan what I'm going to plant!

No comments:

Post a Comment